Monday, September 20, 2010

Waiting. . .

I'm at work now, waiting for some files to finish cooking, and dreading what I'm going to find when I get home. Chris is there now, managing the arborists as they euthanize our tree.




This is the mushroom that let us know the tree was rotting at the roots. Perhaps a mycologist could identify it, but I can't.

I seem to have forgotten to upload a few photos; grumf! I had a good one of a stack of these dusting the poison ivy with white spores.




This is the underside of the mushroom. These photos were taken in July, if I remember correctly, and they were taken when the mushroom had finished growing and was busily dusting the area with spores.






More views of the underside of the mushroom.






I'm going to miss our tree.

3 comments:

Kris said...

I grieve with you. The mind's eye will look for the shade for years...

My first visit to your blog. I'm enjoying poking around in your entries.... :-D

Sara said...

In Oregon. all the Oaks, White and Black, rot from the inside out. The cavity forms and continues to grow until the tree breaks or falls over. Sometime before this happens and as soon as we see it shedding bark, we can harvest for firewood.

Maureen said...

The mushroom pics are so coooool!