Saturday, September 18, 2010

Busy weekend!



That's not really me watering the grass, in the above photo; it's me, watering my son. It was a hot day and he really wanted to be wet. The end result was a two-year-old, soaked to the skin, beaming as he hauled the spewing hose around "watering" for Mommy.

Anyway, that was one of the photos I used for this week's native plant post at Franklin Matters.

Today we visited, for the first time, Old Sturbridge Village to check out agricultural practices from 200 years ago. I am so exhausted from the outing (and from an unusually hectic week at work) that I can't properly hop up and down while bubbling about what a truly awesome place that is. It's like a renaissance fair, but with dignity. We'll post pictures soon.

In other news, I'm officially a member of the American Chestnut Foundation now, and I'm so geeked out about the tree that I scrutinized the buildings at Old Sturbridge, because, surely, some of them must be made with chestnut wood.

3 comments:

Pam J. said...

"Geeked out." I like that. Farming 200 years ago -- a great subject. I just finished reading a quirky funny little memoir written in 1945 about a young woman and her husband who establish a chicken farm in the upper Northwest. The book was "The Egg and I" by Betty MacDonald, and was apparently a huge best-seller in the 1940s. There are some jolting parts early in the book (including several offhand racist comments about the Native Americans in the upper NW) but if you can overlook that you get what appears to be an honest portrayal of a rural life 75 years ago. I read it because of the growing suburban-urban chicken farming that at one time I wanted to do. No more. My bee responsibilities are quite enough, thankyouverymuch.

Michelle Clay said...

Thanks Pam! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that book.

Anonymous said...

"Like a renaissance fair, but with dignity" - haha! We just went there for the first time a few weeks ago. I'm thinking of going to the apple festival in October. Mulled cider ... mmmm.

-Faith