Monday, May 10, 2010

Tomato Expedition and Jack Frost

Through to power of the internet I was able to find a gentlemen down in South Orleans, Massachusetts, who had many of the varieties of tomato that I managed to cook in my greenhouse while I was gone for the weekend. Peter runs Woo's Worms and uses the output of the worms to raise plenty of tomatoes, along with other veggies. It was really cool seeing his vermicomposting setup. The tomato plants that I bought from him are looking really good, and I can't wait to get them in the ground.

I did plunk four of the cherry tomato plants into the earth boxes that Jen is letting me borrow for the summer, but the rest are waiting for our current cold snap to pass. It is supposed to freeze tonight so I've got solar appliances and floating row covers over everything. All of the plants in the garden right now are cold hardy, so the row covers should provide just a little extra protection through the night. Well, everything, except the potatoes, which are largely still underground. The few that are above I've placed the solar cones over, which should protect them from the freeze.

If you have any potted plants out now, this would be a great time to bring them in! :)

No comments: