Saturday, July 26, 2008

What to do While in Labor

I started having contractions last night – finally! - but by this morning they were still irregular. So, I fiddled around with garden photography alongside Chris to get things moving.

We have some lovely bounty coming along out here. . .


We ate one of these with some lovely hand-made mozzarella.



One of the winter squash vines that I tried so hard to kill has got an apple-sized fruit on it.



Holy cow, I can’t wait for these to ripen!



I thought the Swiss chard would be bitter after all the hot weather we’ve been having, but it was delicious. Plus when washing the leaves, I got a bit of a surprise. . .


Out of the rinse-water popped a momma spider with a sack of eggs! If someone dunked me unexpectedly into a pool of water right now I’m sure I wouldn’t behave as politely as she did. Chris returned her to the chard patch, where with any luck she will give us many offspring to protect our tasty veggies.

After being a photo-monkey, Chris and I tried braiding onions. It turned out to be a piece of cake – especially with Chris cleaning the onions and handing them to me, so that I didn’t have to bend over. Of all the silly things to do while in labor!

4 comments:

C4 said...

I must say that I'm super happy that Michelle isn't squeamish around spiders or insects in general for that matter. I consider spiders one of my important lines of defense since we don't use any insecticides.

marna said...

I can't believe you were out in the garden while in the beginning stages of gardening!! What a wonderful way to be distracted!

Hope your labor goes well.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures! Great job on the onion braids- they look fabulous. So exciting to hear that labor started. Hope things are going well, and can't wait to get an update.

Maggie

Michelle Clay said...

Thank you Marna and Maggie! :) Everything is going quite well. I must go get some sleep now thought. . . by the way, Marna, Chris found a monarch butterfly catterpillar, and it has turned into a chrysalis for us! thanks for inspiring us to look for them.