Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Onion Harvest

The vidalia onions flopped over this past week; apparently that’s how onions say they are finished growing. So Chris pulled them up and I spread them out to dry. In a few days I’ll try braiding them together for storage.



Here they are – about 120 onions, grown from seedlings purchased through the mail. They aren’t monstrously big like the vidalias in the grocery store, but darn, do they look like onions! The next time I’m at the store I’ll have to check on the price of vidalias, so I can get giddy at how much our little haul is worth.

Vidalia greens are tasty as well, as it turns out. Last night I tossed some into a corn salsa. (Sweet corn, green onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, chipotle pepper. Yum!) If I weren’t planning on braiding them, I would chop some up and freeze them. Maybe I’ll go ahead and do that with a few.

Mmm. . . my keyboard now smells like onion!

No comments: