Sunday, April 24, 2011

Skunk Cabbage Adoration


I go out every day now to watch my skunk cabbage grow. It's far and away the most lush thing on the landscape now.



As far as I know, all wetlands in this area are protected. Since there are strict rules preventing the development of land a certain distance from wetlands, it's not often that you get to walk right up to the edge of skunk cabbage swamp.



. . .at least, not without picking up ticks, and getting mud up to your knees.



I have a dry path leading out to a flat rock, where I can safely get a good close look at the plants.



Skunk cabbage, Symplocarpus foetidus, only stinks if you crush it.



The plants are done flowering for the year, and are now vigorously growing their leaves to catch the sun before the trees shade them out.



The leaves unfurl in elegant curves.



Like lotus blossoms, they emerge from the mud sparkling clean.



My photographer's assistant, hard at work.

2 comments:

Pam J. said...

Thanks for the updated pictures! Wonderful veins on those plants. What happened to your toddler Gabe?? He's turned into Big Brother (in a good way of course).

Michelle Clay said...

My pleasure!

Tee hee, our little grub has morphed into a little boy. He'll be three soon!