Monday, April 11, 2011

Damminix Tick Tubes

Ah, here are the results of a large-scale study showing the effectiveness of the tick tubs we use. Their results: a 90% reduction in ticks. Which reminds me, I think we are overdue for putting fresh tubes around the yard.

Just about time, too, for Gabe to have his hair shorn totally short, so that I can check him for scalp ticks every night. Little boys and gardeners are in the highest risk category for contracting Lyme's, and we live on the edge of deer-infested wild land.

3 comments:

Geoff Zub said...

The landscape architect we used tweeted this interesting home-brew alternative to those tubes...
https://twitter.com/#!/GardenContinuum/status/51277174216474625

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear these work, and will give them a try this year, sure to be a banner year for deer ticks! I think Lyme disease is on its way to becoming a public health crisis. I have had it twice, my dog (who was vaccinated and has had Frontline all her short life - 15 months- just tested positive for Lyme!) my next door neighbor's 7-year-old had it. We, like you, live in a meadow surrounded by woods, tick heaven. This year, I plan to keep all grass mowed regularly, put the tubes around, and maybe even put up a fence to keep deer out, but that will be a huge and expensive undertaking. But I am kind of to the point of desperation....

Anonymous said...

I've been doing a lot of research on this since my daughter and son-in-law both have Lymes now. Apparently it's not the deer but the mice we need to worry about more since the ticks are getting the disease from the mice.