Friday, November 14, 2008

Back to Work

I regret that I haven’t had the time to post here more of late. With the new baby, I have been too wonderfully busy to think much about photography or plants. The beautiful Autumn colors came and went, and I’m grateful that I got out and took those last photos when I did, because the leaves fell down promptly afterward. We have already had a few nights that left ice on the top of our trusty bucket, but the days still occasionally bounce back up to Summery sunshine.

October is never a good month for me. This year was extra tough, because I was facing the end of maternity leave. I was nervous about putting Gabe in daycare, and anxious about resuming my job. But both went better than I could have hoped for. So for the past three weeks I have been deliriously happy and very busy. I have only ventured out to the garden on the weekends.

The witchhazel flowers were the final hurrah in the garden last year, but this year the alyssums outlasted them. And in addition to that, the saffron crocus bulbs I planted are just now growing. Will they flower this absurdly late in the season? I have trouble believing it, but supposedly they will. I’ll be sure to get photos if they do!

I have been slowly working on next year’s project: bamboo! In front of the house I am digging a hole the size of a hot tub. I bought a roll of plastic root barrier to keep the bamboo contained. In the Spring I’ll have some good soil delivered to fill the hole, and then I’ll be planting a 25-foot variety of bamboo that will eventually provide us with sturdy poles for the tomatoes. This variety of bamboo also produces tasty edible shoots. It isn’t native, but the native bamboo turns out to be not so suited to our needs.

Hopefully this weekend I’ll have some time for photos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have been here. I'm glad you were able to make the transition back to life without feeling too terribly depressed.

~A