Sunday, April 6, 2008

Rocks!

The more rocks Chris unearths, the more rocks I want. I got it into my head to build a low rock wall along the driveway flowerbed strip where I will be planting raspberries. This came to mind when moving some spiderwort from that bed to my frog pond path. To my disgust, the soil in that side bed is just as shallow as the lawn. And ugh, I don’t want to dig out all of that sand! My raspberry bushes will be here in two weeks, and next week our mountain of dirt will arrive. So, I’m just going to stack up the dirt six inches on top of what is already there. And some rocks along the edge will fend off erosion, and look nice.

Fortunately, a local construction dig ever so kindly put up a sign for free fill, and “fill” is exactly what we have been digging up from Chris’ vegi beds: sand with rocks. I have been to the grand free fill heap three times to load the car with rocks. Jen came on the third trip, and lifted some giant beauties for me, and Chris has helped me lug them into place.



Next: we fill this raised bed with dirt! Did I mention that I also ordered strawberries to plant along the edges? As if I don't already have enough to do in the garden!

Chris found a use for his giant rock, as well. It went to the curb next to the mailbox, where it is becoming the centerpiece of another raised bed. He had to get down on all fours to roll the thing all the way up the driveways, and where he rolled over the grass his path looks like a battle took place.



Alas, as much as I would like to, I don’t think I can continue to build rock walls myself: my pregnant belly seems to have grown again this weekend, apparently to make room for the baby’s karate dojo. Bending over is becoming an ordeal, my energy level is going down again, and rocks of any interesting size are just a depressing reminder that I’m not allowed to strain myself lifting heavy loads. I’ll be lucky to get my hoard of my raspberries, strawberries, asparagus, and rhubarb in the ground before I have to turn my garden involvement down to a minimum.

No comments: