Saturday, August 7, 2010

I grew these by accident.



I didn't plant any evening primrose here. I just failed to do any weeding for two years.




Oenothera biennis at its best. These must be seven feet tall. Perhaps with some selective weeding I could turn this into a perpetual primrose bed, with a few shorter plants in front to hide those scrawny legs.




I really didn't know how amazing these flowers are until a morning last week when I woke up at the crack of dawn, and couldn't get back to sleep. I was too cranky to do yard work, so I stumbled outside with my cup of placebo decaf to water my potted plants with liquid sulk.

First I noticed the smell. Evening primrose on a cool morning smell spectacular! I don't normally notice smells. There were all sorts of pollinators rolling around in the primrose blossoms, and now that I have experienced that beautiful smell, I think I can safely say that those bugs are downright drunk with the aroma.

A pair of goldfinches paid a visit, too. I thought they only ate the seeds, so I'm not sure what they were doing on an evening primrose this early in the season. Scouting, perhaps?



And then I saw something zip by.




Hot damn! Hummers!

I grabbed the camera and got cozy on the bench. Sure enough, they went about their business as I snapped away.




Stay tuned for Battle Hummingbird. . .

No comments: