Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Apparition



In Japanese folklore, there are spirits called kodama that live in certain sacred trees. This is a frame from the kodama scene in The Princess Mononoke.




The kodama blessed me with a visit this summer.




I know, it's just Indian pipe, but doesn't it just make the hair rise on the back of your neck? It popped up this year in a new location in addition to its regular spot by the wetland-edge, and it feels like I have been granted this visit as a sign that I have been protecting my woods well.

Perhaps I should get some shimenawa rope to properly mark the backyard as a sacred space.

6 comments:

Matt DiLeo said...

Cool!

hero爺 said...

What poetic beauty!

But I don't watch the movie, Mononoke Hime.

Michelle Clay said...

Thanks Hero and Mat!

Mononoke Hime is a wonderful movie.

UrsulaV said...

Oh, very cool! Supposedly those grow around here, but I've never run into any.

And I cry like a little girl over the scene with the boar god.

Unknown said...

They look like Halloween Snoopy's coming out of the pumpkin patch.

Diana Studer said...

'a sign that you protect your wood well' WONDERFUL ;-)